Pumpkin Spice Kiss Chocolate Brownies

As soon as they came out in the stores the Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses became famous on the cooking board I frequent, and I ran out to Target to try them. Unlike the solid chocolate kisses I am used to, these flavored kisses are soft and have a different flavored filling inside. At first bite I was not a huge fan, probably due to the soft texture (well..it was in the 80's here in California), so I stuck some in the fridge and found the cold version to be more enjoyable. When I saw Erin post this recipe in her blog, Dinner & Dessert, for brownies and these kisses I knew I had to try it.

Erin's recipe was adapted from "Baking From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan, and although I have been eager to try one of Dorie's famous recipes I had to pass this time because I didn't have bittersweet chocolate on hand. Instead I looked around and tried Katie's Smooth Chocolate Brownies.

The final product turned out ok, my husband says he likes the texture of these brownies but I think I overcooked them a bit because they are more on the chewy side than I like. I also had some serious technical difficulties when I was melting the kisses. After the alotted minute they did not seem melted enough, so I popped them back in for another 30 seconds and it was all down hill from there =/ The longer I cooked them the harder they got and I think I went past "melting" and had moved on to "cooking" them. Oops! I knew I could not swirl them into my melted brownie batter with them chunky, so I added a little water to try to loosen the batter. It started to look promising and then quickly began separating. I warmed it up a bit more, mixed vigorously, and quickly globbed it into the pan. It hardened before I could swirl it in, but the end result after baking was alright. Not the best dessert I have ever made, but you cannot really go wrong with pumpkin flavored chocolate and a glass of milk =]

Pumpkin Spice Kiss Chocolate Brownies
(inspired by Erin of Dinner & Dessert. Brownie recipe courtesy of Katie at Good Things Catered)

Ingredients

2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 c. Sugar
2/3 c. unsalted butter
1/4 c. water
3 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
45 Hershey’s Pumpkin Pie Spice Kisses

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare 13x9 baking sheet
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside
- In small saucepan over medium low heat add sugar, butter, and water and bring to a boil
- As soon as it comes to a boil, remove from heat and add chocolate chips and vanilla
- Stir constantly until chocolate is melted and combined
- Pour chocolate mixture into bowl of stand mixer
- Turn mixer on low and beat in eggs, one at a time
- Slowly add flour mixture until just combined
- Unwrap kisses into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. - - Stir until smooth, and then drop by spoonfuls into the brownie batter.
- Using a knife, swirl the batter to create a marbled effect.
- Pour into pan and bake in oven for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean

1 comments:

Maryanna said...

Mmmm. I'll bet these are so good. I bought a bag of those kisses last week, and they only lasted 2 days. Yikes!

Copyright © 2008 - Tyrna's Modest Morsels - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template