Pumpkin Angel Food Cake

A couple weeks ago the ladies on the cooking board I frequent started talking about Fall and all of the great recipes that go along with the season. Being obsessed about all things pumpkin, I was determined to start making the recipes they were discussing even though it still does not feel like fall here in California yet. The first one that I knew I had to try was posted by MrsBowen, and to make it even better it was from a great new site she found called Eat Better America. Pumpkin flavored baked goods that are low in fat and calories?? I was hooked.

The cake turned out well, although I would have preferred it to be a bit more on the tender side. I will probably try my hand at making a (healthy) pumpkin bread next time vs the cake, but it was a yummy and guilt-free treat. I didn't have an angel food pan so I used 2 loaf pans and it came out fine (I followed the instructions for these pans on the cake box). It worked well because I frosted one and kept it in the fridge for dessert, and the other I sliced like bread and had a piece in the morning with my coffee.

I did not have crystallized ginger so I sprinkled some pumpkin pie spice and ground ginger into the whipped topping instead, as well as adding some homemade whipped cream so I could use up some leftover cream.


Ingredients
1 box (1 lb) white angel food cake mix
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 cup cold water

Filling
1 container (8 oz) frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed in fridge
2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger

Move oven rack to lowest position for tube pan, middle position for loaf pans & heat oven to 350°F.

Beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then medium speed for 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan or 2 9" loaf pans.

Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until crust is dark golden brown and cracks are dry (follow instructions on box for the type of pan you are using).

Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof funnel or glass bottle (or cooling rack for loaf pans). Let hang about 2 hours or until cake is completely cool. Loosen cake from side of pan with knife or long metal spatula. Turn cake upside down onto serving plate.

In medium bowl, gently mix whipped topping and ginger. Cut cake horizontally in half to make 2 even layers. Spread half of the filling on bottom layer; replace top of cake. Spread remaining filling on top of cake. Sprinkle with additional pumpkin pie spice if desired.

Refrigerate any remaining cake.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Tyrna's Modest Morsels - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template