Dinner Divas: Altered Cobb Burger

I am excited to be posting my introductory recipe from the very first cooking group I have joined, Dinner Divas! The recipe was from Food Network chef, Tyler Florence, and was for Chicken Cobb Burgers. I have put both the original recipe and my version below. I halved it and only made 2 burgers so there wouldn't be leftovers.

I thought the burgers came out pretty well, considering I am not very experienced at burgers on the grill yet. I also made 2 different versions, one for me and one for hubby. He is very picky so all I put on his was lettuce and cheese, but mine had all the fixings listed below. I also made the sweet potato oven fries that everyone on the Nest cooking board has been raving about for months, but alas, I didn't really enjoy them very much. *hides* I love the idea of having a healthier kind of fry, but I think the sweetness was too much and I will probably stick to my traditional oven fries most of the time. All in all it turned out pretty well, although I definitely need to master the timing needed to serve hot food to my husband AND get good pictures of it for the blog ;)


My Tips & Alterations:

  • I tried to keep the burgers less fat/calories and used turkey bacon, but the result was not great. I need to experiment with other kinds of turkey bacon, maybe some with a higher fat content. I also wouldn't grill the bacon, especially the turkey bacon, because it ended up being a bit charred and we are not fans of that flavor.
  • I put the lettuce in with the vinaigrette before assembling and cooking the burgers...oops! I didn't remember the part of the recipe that said to toss in the dressing just before assembling. It wasn't so bad, however, because it turned out to be a stronger flavor and I also ate the leftover lettuce on the side as a kind of slaw. I also didn't let the dressing sit in the fridge for 30 minutes, which didn't seem to make a difference at all.
  • I might try making a guacamole or just mushing the avocado up a bit to make it more of a spread than a topping, the burger was hard to eat once I got the avocado and tomato on top. I would also make the burgers flatter so they lay better in the buns.

ENJOY!
Chicken Cobb Burgers
by Tyler Florence

Ingredients
For the burgers:
8 (1/2- thick) strips bacon
1 1/2 pounds ground chicken, 90 percent lean
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 burger buns, split
1 large ripe beefsteak tomato, cut into 4 slices
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 8 slices

For the vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely shredded romaine lettuce

For the burgers:
Heat the grill to medium.
Place the strips of bacon on the grill (lay them across the grate so they don't fall through) and grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Increase the heat of the grill to high.
Form the meat into 4 (8-ounce) burgers, brush with the oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Grill the burgers until golden brown on both sides and cooked completely through, about 5 minutes per side. Top the burgers with the blue cheese, close the cover, and continue cooking until the cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute longer.
Place the burgers on the bottom half of each bun and top with a slice of tomato, 2 slices of avocado, 2 slices of bacon and some of the dressed romaine. Cover each burger with the bun tops and serve.

For the vinaigrette:
Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using to allow the flavors to meld.
Just before assembling the burgers, place the romaine in a medium bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.

Dinner Divas Cobb Burgers
by Jessica
(my alterations are in italics)

Ingredients
For the burgers:
4 (1/2- thick) strips Turkey bacon
1/2-3/4 pound ground sirloin, 90 percent lean
2 tablespoons canola oil
Salt Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
2 burger buns, split
1/2 vine-ripe tomato, cut into slices
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into slices (my slices were more like wedges, lol)

For the vinaigrette: (all measures are 1/2 the original recipe)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely shredded romaine lettuce

For the burgers:
Cook bacon for the time allotted on the package instructions, either in the pan or on a medium-heat grill. Remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and increase heat of grill to high.
In a bowl, mix the meat and shredded cheese together until well combined. Form the meat into 2 burgers and season with salt and pepper. Spray the grill with nonstick grilling spray. Grill the burgers until golden brown on both sides and cooked completely through, about 5 minutes per side. Top the burgers with the additional sliced cheese (if desired), close the cover, and continue cooking until the cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute longer.
Place the burgers on the bottom half of each bun and top with tomato, avocado, 2 slices of bacon and some of the dressed romaine. Cover each burger with the bun tops and serve.

For the vinaigrette:
Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic, sugar, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using to allow the flavors to meld. Just before assembling the burgers, place the romaine in a medium bowl and toss with the vinaigrette.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2008 - Tyrna's Modest Morsels - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template